Friday, April 23, 2010

Rootkit Dissection

Following 'some links I came across a pretty good article of a rootkit dissection which totally fall into the category of stuff I like to read - the process used to develop information.  Knowing me personally, I frequently drone on about the "how" to process things and using critical thinking to solve issues and fully understand the problem | incident | root cause.

If you are not familiar with critical thinking, I believe it is the foundation for being successful at solving open-set solutions - solutions that have many methods of deriving the solution with various degrees of success such as digital investigations, hardware troubleshooting, or simply fixing your windows installation problem.

I recommend reading the "simply fixing your windows installation link", uhh it has in-depth troubleshooting and Sherlock Holmes quotes.

I think both links show the use of critical thinking and understanding the logic associated to solving complex issues.  I'll post some of my favorite moments in troubleshooting, both good (solved) and bad (made an ass out of myself).

Note, I have not read any of these books so check the reviews.  I had read books and written papers in college on critical thinking, but I really learned it from a dude named Garth, a mentor I had in high school.  He incorporated critical thinking with philosophy and social behavior and I still vividly remember some of the conversations we had 28 years ago.  Here's to you Garth, I am glad you refused to buy beer for underage kid and instead changed my life.

  

No comments: